[Linux-aus] 2021 Applications for Master of Applied Cybernetics at Australian National University's 3A Institute now open

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Tue Jun 30 12:25:41 AEST 2020

Hi everyone,

Firstly, hoping that this note finds you and your loved ones well, and
that continues to be the case. Thoughts and good wishes are with those
having a tough time, for many reasons, at the moment.

As folx might be aware, I've spent the last 18 months undertaking a
Master of Applied Cybernetics at the 3A Institute at ANU in Canberra,
and am starting a PhD there soon®.

It's been a challenging, rewarding, eye-opening, life-changing and
lives-changing experience that's provided the interrogative,
systems-thinking and reflexive skills needed to take cyber-physical
systems, artificial intelligence and their components safely and
reliably to scale. If you were at LCA at the Gold Coast earlier in the
year (before the 'Rona ;-) ), you might have caught the talk I did on
SenseBreast - a term project for the course.

The course heavily uses open source hardware and software (I got to hack
on one of the first Coral TPU boards in the country mwahaha^H^H^H^ um, I
mean, for purely research purposes of course), and may be attractive to
people in this community. We also get guest lectures from incredible
people - Tridge, Brian Schmidt, Genevieve Bell, Mark Pesce, just to name
a few. Imagine having LCA keynote speakers teaching you every week.

The 3A Institute is teaching this new branch of engineering into
existence through the delivery of an experimental, highly-experiential,
hands-on, cohort-based Masters' program. If you'd like to be part of the
third intake in 2021, applications are now open. The course is highly
selective - but don't let that put you off. They let me in, after all!
The Institute recruits people on a cohort basis - ensuring that many
voices inform the established, emerging and nascent techno-social
systems of the world.

Apply - I dare you! There's a story there, but you'll have to wait until
LCA2022 in Canberra to ask me about it in person ;-)

Find out more information at: https://3ainstitute.org/programs-masters

May your boards be green and your packets be fast,

Best, Kathy