[Linux-aus] Call for Sessions - linux.conf.au Online 2021 GO GLAM Miniconf

Sae Ra Germaine s.germaine at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 12:42:34 AEDT 2020

*Sent on behalf of GO GLAM Miniconf Orgs*

The Generous & Open Galleries, Libraries, Archives & Museums (GO GLAM)
Miniconf will explore what’s next for generous and open culture and memory.

As COVID-19 swept across the planet, advocates for open access to scholarly
and cultural knowledge finally had their moment in the sun, with GLAM
workers scrambling to provide greater access to digital and digitised
collections. Open data about COVID-19 is shared and tracked globally in
real time. At the same time, governments tighten control of official
records and COVID-19 has seen cultural institutions around the world close
their doors - in some cases permanently. And under the cover of all this
chaos, companies and governments are destroying some of the world’s most
ancient and precious cultural sites - at Jukaan Gorge, Djab Wurrung
country, Wet’suwet’en territories and elsewhere.

Previous miniconfs have explored what we mean by "open culture", what we
might mean by "generous archives", and why sometimes an ethic of care for
those represented in GLAM collections means access should be closed rather
than open without restrictions.

What should GLAM workers be thinking about, doing, and supporting now? What
should FOSS technologists help to build and maintain? How can open
knowledge advocates add the most value in our current moment? What critical
perspectives on cultural memory and open knowledge do we need to hear and
act upon? How can we use open and free technologies to support communities
to maintain strong and living cultures, and defend open and transparent
government, science and societies?

We invite you to share a project you’re working on, a proposal for a new
initiative, a call to action, a history lesson - or any other presentation
that can help to answer “So what’s next?” and help us all to get there. We
particularly invite critical perspectives and first time speakers to
propose a session, and are looking for proposals of 15, 20 or 45 minutes
(including Q&A).

Go to linux.conf.au to submit your session!

Hugh Rundle
Bonnie Wildie