[Linux-aus] Open Source Industry Association call for nominations - ends Friday 9th Nov

Linux Australia President president at linux.org.au
Mon Nov 5 15:31:36 AEDT 2018

Hi Mark,

Just a minor point of clarification - Linux Australia partnered with
several other digital rights and technology groups and co-signed a
detailed submission here;

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/consultations/Documents/new-america%27s-open-technology-institute.pdf

This also speaks to the point you've made about the capacity of multiple
groups to effect change - partnering and collaboration on pieces like
this help to reduce the efforts required by both organisations.

Best wishes for the call for board members,

Kind regards,

Kathy

On 5/11/18 3:23 pm, Mark Phillips via linux-aus wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just saw this email on the linux-aus list so I thought I would
> reply. (full context at bottom)
>
> In particular:
>
> Nevertheless,  significant  challenges  remain.
> The lion’s  share  of  the  work  in  2018  was  done  by  OSIA
> Company  Secretary  Jack  Burton  and  to  a  lesser  ex-
> tent from February to July also by my predecessor as
> Chairman,  Mark Phillips.   Ultimately,  such a division
> of labour is unsustainable.  If that continues,  it would
> be inevitable that the organisation will again & again
> burn out those individuals who are willing to contribute,
> lurching from one crisis to the next as they leave.
>

> 1) I hope there is no implication that my resignation was due to a
> burnout.
>     I wish to assure everybody that that was not the reason.
>
> 2) I haven't seen the OSIA newsletters since I resigned, so could you
> let me know what OSIA's has done since I resigned? The only thing I
> can see is that a possible director being negotiated with at the time
> of my resignation didn't join and that Don Lowe has also resigned. Oh,
> and the road shows were cancelled.
>
> Mark
>
> PS While I'm asking, is there a reason why OSIA didn't submit
> anything for the Assistance and Access Bill 2018
> https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/consultations/assistance-and-access-bill-2018
> <https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/consultations/assistance-and-access-bill-2018?>
> I have a personal submission.
>
> PPS. I am also a bit worried that LA as a body didn't submit anything
> either. So next time something like this comes up,  I'll be asking for
> contributions from both OSIA and LA.
>

>> On 04 November 2018 at 18:06 James Polley via linux-aus
>> <linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> (Please note that I'm writing this email in a purely personal capacity)
>>
>> It's come to my attention that the Open Source Industry Association
>> call for nominations for directors for the 2018 board has opened, and
>> closes this Friday November 9.
>>
>> OSIA is an organisation that I feel has substantially complementary
>> interests with Linux Australia. Where LA works to support the
>> community through financial sponsorship of events and user groups,
>> OSIA works to support the community by representing companies and
>> other organisations within Australia who invest in or build their
>> future on FOSS. Primarily this has been done through public policy
>> work - including making direct representations to government, but
>> also working with the press and other bodies to build awareness of
>> issues that affect our ability to work on FOSS.  A detailed report on
>> the work OSIA has done over the last few years - including
>> representations to government on various issues, and the outcomes
>> that have been achieved, is in [2]
>>
>> Just like LA relies on volunteers to serve on the Council, OSIA
> [...]

Kathy Reid
President
Linux Australia

0418 130 636