[Linux-aus] Open Source Industry Association call for nominations - ends Friday 9th Nov

James Polley jamezpolley at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 10:02:46 AEDT 2018

On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 6:06 PM James Polley <jamezpolley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> (Please note that I'm writing this email in a purely personal capacity)
>
> It's come to my attention that the Open Source Industry Association call
> for nominations for directors for the 2018 board has opened, and closes
> this Friday November 9.
>
> OSIA is an organisation that I feel has substantially complementary
> interests with Linux Australia. Where LA works to support the community
> through financial sponsorship of events and user groups, OSIA works to
> support the community by representing companies and other organisations
> within Australia who invest in or build their future on FOSS. Primarily
> this has been done through public policy work - including making direct
> representations to government, but also working with the press and other
> bodies to build awareness of issues that affect our ability to work on
> FOSS.  A detailed report on the work OSIA has done over the last few years
> - including representations to government on various issues, and the
> outcomes that have been achieved, is in [2]
>
> Just like LA relies on volunteers to serve on the Council, OSIA relies on
> volunteers to serve on the Board (different names, equivalent functions).
> If you're someone who relies on being able to work on FOSS in order to earn
> a living, I'd urge you to look into OSIA and consider whether you could
> potentially assist by standing for election to the Board.
>
> (I'll be saying something similar about the Linux Australia council in a
> few weeks)
>
> The full call for nominations is at [1] and the Annual Report for the year
> is at [2]. In case you missed the subject, note that the call for
> nominations closes on Friday the 9th November, and you'll need to be a
> financial member - and seconded by another financial member in order to
> stand for election. Full details on how to nominate are in the FAQ at [1].

The FAQ makes it clear that I'm wrong about this - you need to be a
financial member to nominate or second someone, or to vote, but you don't
need to be a member to be nominated or elected.

Q4. Who is eligible to be nominated?

Everybody is eligible. You do not need to be a financial member (or
even a member at all) to be nominated or elected to the board. However,
it would seem reasonable for members to expect that anyone appointed as
a director would join (or would get his or her company to join) shortly
thereafter.