[Linux-aus] January update from Linux Australia

Linux Australia President president at linux.org.au
Wed Jan 31 12:37:02 AEDT 2018

Hi everyone,

First of all, we hope that this note finds you all safely back into the
swing of things after the summer break, and for those of you who joined
us at linux.conf.au in Sydney, we hope that you had a pleasant journey
home. Here's a first installment of our regular communication for the year.

        linux.conf.au

linux.conf.au 2018 Sydney - A little bit of history repeating - was an
outstanding success, due to the efforts of Bruce Crawley, James Polley,
their incredible team of organisers, a dedicated volunteer crew,
Speakers, Safety team, delegates and sponsors. A special shout out to
fabulous MC, Jack Skinner, for his engaging and energetic flair.

We helped both OSI and LWN.net celebrate their 20th birthdays, and heard
engaging keynotes from Karen Sandler, Professor Matthew Todd, Jess
Frazelle and Hugh Blemings.

The videos by Next Day Video are all online and you can see them at:

https://www.youtube.com/user/linuxconfau2018

and on the Linux Australia mirror at:

http://mirror.linux.org.au/pub/linux.conf.au/2018/

We also raised over $AUD 9k for this year's Charity, Code Club
Australia, including dollar-for-dollar matching by Linux Australia.

In 2019, linux.conf.au heads to the renewed City of Christchurch, led
ably by Steven Sykes and Lisa Sands. Sign up to stay updated.

http://lca2019.linux.org.au/

Calls for bids for linux.conf.au 2020 have closed and Council is
arranging site visits to the candidate locations. Antarctica!!!

Calls for bids for linux.conf.au 2021 will open around mid-year this year.

If you have an idea for a talk you'd like to see, tweet it out at #lcapapers
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23lcapapers&src=typd

        Linux Australia AGM, elections and new Council

During the AGM at linux.conf.au, our Annual Report was presented and you
can find it here:

http://mirror.linux.org.au/pub/linux-aus/

During the AGM we also unveiled our new Brand, logo and associated brand
assets, with thanks to graphic designer Toby Ansell. These will
gradually be rolled out to all of our digital and other media properties
during 2018.

At the AGM, election results were announced. Due to there being fewer
nominations than vacancies for the OCM position, nominations were called
from the floor at the AGM, and using a ballot process, Cherie Ellis was
elected to this vacancy.

Please make the new Council welcome;

  * Kathy Reid - President (returning)
  * Cameron Tudball - Vice President (returning)
  * Sae Ra Germaine - Secretary (returning)
  * Russell Stuart - Treasurer (returning)
  * Hugh Blemings - OCM (returning)
  * James Polley - OCM (newly elected 2018, previous Council Member)
  * Cherie Ellis - OCM (newly elected 2018, previous Council Member)

I also thank outgoing Council members, David Bell and Josh Stewart, for
their dedicated and professional service.

You can reach the Council at council at linux.org.au with feedback,
suggestions, concerns and compliments.

During the AGM, the vote to change the name of Linux Australia Inc to
Open Australia Inc. was defeated 62-48. Therefore no Special Resolution
to change the organisation's name was moved.

Thanks especially to Jon Oxer for acting as the Returning Officer for
the election.

        Discussions with OSIA

Prior to the AGM several discussions were held on list about the
possible impact of the proposed name change to OSIA, especially in light
of the issues OSIA has encountered regarding its ongoing operations.
During linux.conf.au, several members of the Council attended the OSIA
Special General Meeting in observer capacity, where discussions were
held on ways in which OSIA and LA can partner, and possible avenues
should OSIA no longer be a viable independent entity. I thank Jack
Burton and Ronald Skeoch and the broader OSIA community for this
opportunity.

OSIA have much to work through over the next few months to arrive at key
decisions about their future; we wish OSIA well in whatever outcome
their members determine is appropriate for the organisation.

        Grants Program

We're going to run our Grants Program again this year, but want to tweak
the review process and criteria slightly. Stay tuned for more.

        Pycon AU 2018, Sydney, call out for team members

Pycon AU heads to Sydney in late August, and they're on the lookout for
awesome. Are you awesome? Want to gain additional awesomeness skills?

Reach out at http://2018.pycon-au.org/

        WordCamp Sydney 2018

WordCamp Sydney is in the early planning stages. Stay tuned at :

https://2018.sydney.wordcamp.org/

        Do you know of an open source alternative to Storify?

We've been using Storify to capture highlights from Linux Australia events.

https://storify.com/linuxaustralia

Storify is shutting down - know of any good open source alternatives?

That's it for now, as always your comments and questions are warmly
welcomed.

Kind regards,

Kathy

--