[Linux-aus] Encryption bill and open source

Hugh Blemings hugh at blemings.org
Thu Dec 6 16:19:20 AEDT 2018

Hiya,

A timely conversation, one I'm sorry that we find ourselves even having
to have at all :(  Thank you AJ and Kathy for your considered analysis -
fine stuff indeed.

One thing I would urge all of you to consider doing is call your local
MP.  Seriously.  Respectfully ask that your views (presumably against)
be noted and give one or two reasons why - EFFA have written concisely
on this aspect[0].

I say this from the standpoint of having talked to my local MP and the
call being respectfully received, noted and being, I gather one of many.

Further having had an old high school friend that was once an advisor to
a senior minister, his feedback was always that in the main, politicians
actually do want to hear what their electorate says - but that most of
the time they get one visit/call from their electorate for dozens of
lobbyists.

So -please- let us by all means continue the timely and worthwhile
discourse on linux-aus on what we might be able to do if we have the
misfortune of it passing, but in the meantime please make the call!

While you are on the phone, please also consider voicing your views on
the myriad of other silliness we find ourselves presented with including
the all to many far more directly humanitarian matters - some examples
[1][2].

Cheers,
Hugh

[0] https://digitalrights.good.do/aabill_say_no_efa/phone/