[Linux-aus] stuff for kids

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Sat Sep 23 16:38:40 AEST 2017

Hi Russell, Noel,

On 23 September 2017 4:22:01 pm AEST, Russell Coker via linux-aus <linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:
>On Saturday, 23 September 2017 11:00:54 AM AEST Noel Butler via
>linux-aus
>wrote:
>> > Should we promote this?  Should we run special meetings targetted
>> > younger  members or work with existing groups like Coder Dojos?
>>
>> If you take this approach, you need to ensure each LA member involved
>> has a clearance to work with kids, in Qld, that's Blue Card, not sure
>
>I believe that only applies if kids won't have a parent or guardian
>with them.
>Some CoderDojo type events specify that parents MUST stay with their
>kids,
>presumably to deal with this.

Yes that's exactly how it works.

I do have a (business) blue card as I work in classrooms at different schools.

I do find CoderDojo a tad frustrating as many of the mentors are younger and don't appear to be teaching the kids real programming and logic skills.
We know there's a big diff between churning out some code and smart programming.

Still, way better than nothing, and so I do encourage parents and kids to go there. If it gets kids interested, the good ones will figure things out properly.

Regards,
Arjen.