[Linux-aus] Final report on Stemformatics Data Portal

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Wed Oct 25 21:38:48 AEDT 2017

I’m wondering what the license for the code is – there’s no obvious LICENSE file in https://bitbucket.org/stemformatics/data-portal/overview nor in any of the various file headers?

From: linux-aus [mailto:linux-aus-bounces at lists.linux.org.au] On Behalf Of Rowland Mosbergen via linux-aus
Sent: Wednesday, 25 October 2017 4:25 AM
To: linux-aus at linux.org.au
Subject: [Linux-aus] Final report on Stemformatics Data Portal

Hi All,

This is a link to the final report for the Stemformatics Data Portal student project:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9dIBx_EIj7wcEx0cjZtalpVMms/view?usp=sharing

Both Sadia Waleem and Huan Wang did a great job on this project. We migrated over 342 public datasets via a python client and provided a web interface with enough functionality to think that this prototype is worth developing further.

I would like to thank Linux Australia for providing us with the bursary for this project and providing feedback to the original design, particularly around the idea of data licensing.

I would also like to thank NeCTAR for providing the cloud compute and Isha Nagpal who provided assistance to the students during this project.

Finally, on the 29th of March Russell Coker made a comment that stated:

Finally if this grant application is approved I suggest that we make a further

offer of travel expenses if one of the developers of this project is accepted

as a speaker at an LCA miniconf.  The general practice is that speakers at the

main conference may be offered travel expenses from the LCA budget but not for

miniconf speakers.  I think that we should make it a standard practice that a

miniconf speaker who is speaking about work performed under an LA grant should

be offered a further grant towards travel expenses from anywhere in Australia

or NZ.

I have not had a chat with Sadia or Huan about this, but I would be willing to chase this up if Linux Australia was interested.

Please let me know if you have any comments or questions.

Regards,

Rowland

Rowland Mosbergen | Business Manager, Stemformatics
Wells Laboratory | Centre for Stem Cell Systems
Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience | Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences

Room 1.36, Level 1, Kenneth Myer Building
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
T: +61 3 8344 6623 | E: rowland at stemformatics.org <mailto:rowland at stemformatics.org>
W: www.stemformatics.org <http://www.stemformatics.org>   | Skype: rowland.stemformatics

This email and any attachments may contain personal information or  information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright. Any use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The University does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free from viruses or defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening them. If this email is received in error please delete it and notify us by return email.