[Linux-aus] [LACTTE] [Grant Application] IWS-Hackathon 2017

Linux Australia President president at linux.org.au
Mon Nov 6 15:31:15 AEDT 2017

Hi everyone,

This Grant Application was discussed at Council meeting 26th October -
it's taken me a little while to catch up on actions, apologies.

MOTION by David Bell that Linux Australia approves the grant request
from IWS Hackathon to the value of $1600 Seconded by: Cameron Tudball.
Carried.

We will now work with Mike Imelfort to identify the best way to provide
funds/support.

Kind regards,
Kathy

On 06/10/17 03:20, Mike Imelfort wrote:

> Thank you for considering this application for support for our
> Education-based hackathon. We’re a very new group with lots of energy
> and a mission to make teaching STEM easier for teachers. We welcome
> any questions.
>

> *Project name *
>

> The IWS Hackathon - http://iws-hackathon.org
>

> * About the IWS *
>

> IWS stands for “Intelligent Watering System”. Think of it as a
> Raspberry Pi attached to a tap, but intelligently! Basic versions can
> measure how much water is in the soil and how much water is being
> released, while more advanced versions can measure rainfall,
> temperature and humidity. We've created a 100% open source controller
> from readily available components so the IWS is not only powerful,
> it's also inexpensive and repairable. It's simple enough to be
> assembled on a breadboard by primary school students but we’ve also
> designed a freely (as in speech) available PCB, ready for soldering.
>

> The IWS was developed at Kimberley Park State School to teach primary
> school students STEM concepts. Students can write new code for the IWS
> using Scratch or python to modify it's functionality or add entirely
> new sensors and create something awesome. Two of our organisers have
> spent the past 12 months working with students in class and they’re
> having great results. Now we’d like to help other schools make use of
> and improve on our work.
>

> The version we'll be focusing on at the hackathon has been designed to
> water potted plants or small gardens, but it's equally comfortable
> watering much larger spaces. At Kimberley Park State School, the home
> of the IWS, it's currently being used to water a very large vegetable
> garden.
>

> * Aim of the project, including any key stages or milestones of the
> project *
>

> We need lesson plans that integrate well with existing curriculum
> requirements and can easily be adapted for different classroom
> environments and IWS setups. So we’ve invited primary and secondary
> school teachers along to help us get started and hopefully join us on
> the journey.
>

> Our goal is to start producing an open, freely available toolkit for
> the IWS that includes teacher instruction, connections to the
> Australian Curriculum, assessment and extension opportunities. We want
> to empower participants to create a shared portfolio of ideas around a
> wide variety of topics including where the IWS fits into the
> curriculum, what lesson plans will look like, how assessment will
> work, how to physically install an IWS in a classroom or school and
> how to extend students using the IWS.
>

> Small teams of three or four teachers will work to create one or more
> lesson plans that use the IWS, include links to the Australian
> Curriculum and fit with a theme of work that students would typically
> work with throughout the year (e.g. the water cycle). All lesson plans
> [...]

Kathy Reid
President
Linux Australia

0418 130 636