[Linux-aus] [Grant Application] Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network

Linux Australia President president at linux.org.au
Fri May 12 20:30:36 AEST 2017

Council is delighted to announce that this grant has been approved to
the value of $AUD 800.

Council took into account feedback from the community, the strong usage
of Kerbal and CKAN, and the entre that CKAN provides to budding open
source developers.

Council would appreciate a report at the end of the year detailing how
the infrastructure has been used.

NEXT ACTION: Paul to work with Kathy to arrange financials.

Kind regards,

Kathy

On 24/04/17 03:17, Paul Fenwick wrote:

> G’day Linux Australia council and members,
>
> In August 2014 I founded the Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network
> (KSP-CKAN <https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN>), a modifications (mod)
> manager for the popular Kerbal Space Program game by Squad. Inspired
> by the Debian packaging system, my goal was to create a system that
> would allow players to easily install mods and keep them up-to-date,
> supported by rich metadata so players could be assured they were
> getting the right packages for their system, including dependency
> management and upgrade paths.
>
> My not so secret mission was to inspire a new generation to be excited
> about space exploration and research.
>
> By creating a cross-platform (Mac/Linux/Windows), open-source (MIT)
> client and associated metadata (CC-0), the project has been a
> resounding success. We’ve attracted over 300 contributors, brought
> delight to well over 120,000 users, indexed thousands of mods, and
> measure our success in decades of human joy delivered per month.
>
> Most of the mods we index are also free and open source, and we handle
> the automatic preservation of these in conjunction with the Internet
> Archive. The KSP-CKAN is especially important for people using Kerbal
> Space Program for planning and simulating real space travel, using the
> Realism Overhaul stack. This provides an exact simulation of the solar
> system, authentic hardware, and faithfully modelled aerodynamics.
> We’ve had NASA employees personally devote their time to improving
> both the KSP-CKAN and associated systems.
>
> As we do not track our users, it’s hard to /directly/ measure our
> project success in terms of mods delivered, but we can use the number
> of client downloads and user contributions as a proxy. Since early
> 2016 we’ve routinely had over 100,000 downloads with each significant
> release, and over the last month
> <https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pulse/monthly> we’ve had dozens of
> contributors working on our metadata and code.
>
> For the last two years, AWS have been kind enough to sponsor our
> compute costs, which are primarily used for the automated indexing of
> mods. However, that sponsorship has recently expired, and due to a
> change in contacts at AWS we’ve been unsuccessful at getting it reviewed.
>
> While I’ve stepped down as mission director, I’m still the legal
> entity responsible for hosting costs, and I'm very much supportive of
> the project and its goals. We're extremely fortunate to have Leon
> Wright as our prime infrastructure person. Leon is active in PLUG and
> the Perth open source community, has been instrumental in handling the
> video processing
> <http://www.techman83.me/programming/2014/01/20/eventstreamr.html> of
> past LCAs, and has kept our systems running for years.
>
> Our expenses are very modest; about $30 USD/month covers all our
> hosting and compute costs. Because the amount is so small, we’re
> hoping to have them covered by a single sponsor rather than via
> [...]

Kathy Reid
President
Linux Australia

0418 130 636