[Linux-aus] Stemformatics application for the Linux Australia Grants Scheme

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Mar 29 21:37:20 AEDT 2017

On Wednesday, 29 March 2017 5:46:12 PM AEDT Rowland Mosbergen wrote:
> Dear Linux Australia Council members and community,
>
> I would like to make a grant application for the Linux Australia Grants
> Scheme on behalf of Stemformatics.
>
> You can view the application as a pdf (attached) or a link (below):
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/15Hjv6EC6GA2A6_DQcOjv7zqubt96nBaqoV7YbeUN
> CJg/edit?usp=sharing
>
> I only recently realised that I need to be a member of Linux Australia to
> quality for this grant. I did apply on the 27th of March 2017 to fulfil
> this criteria.
>
> Please let me know if any extra information is needed for this application.

I think this is a very worthy project and the amount of money requested seems
reasonable given the expected return.  But I have some concerns about
licensing and source access.

The PDF states that you will "create all of these under an open source license
(Apache License, Version 2.0)".  What about the license of the datasets that
you are using?  It's implied that you are getting them from other
organisations, do they have licenses that are compatible or are you receiving
a license grant from those organisations that permits redistributing the
bundle under the Apache license?  I expect that you will have sorted this out
somehow, but I would like it made clear.

For the software that is produced, will you put it in a public repository like
Github?  How big is the data?  Can the data fit in github or some other public
repository?  Is there a risk that access to the curated data needed for the
application might be removed at some future time?

Finally if this grant application is approved I suggest that we make a further
offer of travel expenses if one of the developers of this project is accepted
as a speaker at an LCA miniconf.  The general practice is that speakers at the
main conference may be offered travel expenses from the LCA budget but not for
miniconf speakers.  I think that we should make it a standard practice that a
miniconf speaker who is speaking about work performed under an LA grant should
be offered a further grant towards travel expenses from anywhere in Australia
or NZ.