[Linux-aus] Grant application Cryptoproof

Michael Cordover la at mjec.net
Sat Mar 11 09:46:16 AEDT 2017

Hi folks

I have a few thoughts.

First, the requested grant is a significant amount of money, so I think
the return to the community needs to match that.

This project appears to have only one contributor, and not to have
strong community presence. For me, this project doesn't appear to have
sufficient strong utility to justify the significant work involved. In
particular, it appears to require a trusted third party to verify a
trustless protocol. This doesn't seem to add a lot of value.

I'm also struggling a little with the project budget, which is presented
in approximate form and without the type of detail I would expect in a
grant application. For example, $1000pa PAAS hosting - what host? Why?
Is that appropriate given the expected traffic? Who will receive the
funds for design, development and audit work? How have these costs been
estimated?

Finally, this project's key success metric is generating sufficient
revenue to be self-sustaining (though I note it does not indicate how
that revenue is generated). While generating revenue is not a bad aim
per se, I don't think LA should provide business start-up grants. Our
grants programs should be community-focused. Building a self-sustaining
service that has strong community demand might fall into that category;
supporting a for-profit service like this doesn't seem to.

For those reasons I'm opposed to making this grant in its current form.
Notably, I've made a few assumptions above, and I might be wrong about
several of them. Derren, feel free to correct me/provide more detail (on
list), and I will re-evaluate.

Regards

Michael