[Linux-aus] Grant application to Linux Australia for Aletheia

Rowland Mosbergen rowland.mosbergen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 17:27:28 AEST 2017

Thanks for the feedback Kade.

The biggest concern that I see for researchers on a year to year basis is
the ability to increase the probability for the NHMRC, ARC and other
funding bodies to fund their work. This is directly tied into the papers
they publish, where they publish and their citation record (among other
things). I think it would be interesting to know how you are approaching
the funding bodies and their reactions to your ideas. I think without this
your technical fix would not be sustainable.

While some of the technical discussions you mentioned I think are
interesting technically, in my opinion they aren't even close to the
priority that is needed on the same level as the communty issues.

For example:

   - websites can easily be architected for high availability (we do this
   ourselves),
   - PlosOne has all it's content protected by CC-BY
   <http://journals.plos.org/plosone/s/licenses-and-copyright> and
   - PlosOne has an impact factor (3.057 in 2015
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLOS_ONE>)

Not that Aletheia isn't a cool idea. I just want to ensure that we can
tease out the pros and cons to allow the Linux Australia community to work
out if this fits into their funding model.

Whatever the outcome I think you are raising this issue at the right time
as it's a hot topic in research.

Regards,

Rowland.