[Linux-aus] Fwd: [lca-announce] Call for Proposals for linux.conf.au 2018 in Sydney are open!

Michael Davies michael at the-davies.net
Mon Jul 3 22:35:29 AEST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: linux.conf.au Announcements <lca-announce at lists.linux.org.au>
Date: Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 10:34 AM
Subject: [lca-announce] Call for Proposals for linux.conf.au 2018 in Sydney
are open!
To: lca-announce at lists.linux.org.au, announce at lists.linux.org.au

On behalf of the LCA2018 team we are pleased to announce that the Call for
Proposals for linux.conf.au 2018 is now open! This Call for Proposals will
close on August 6 with no extensions expected.

linux.conf.au is one of the best-known community driven Free and Open
Source Software conferences in the world. In 2018 we welcome you to join us
in Sydney, New South Wales on Monday 22 January through to Friday 26
January.

For full details including those not covered by this announcement visit
https://linux.conf.au/proposals

== IMPORTANT DATES ==

* Call for Proposals Opens: 3 July 2017
* Call for Proposals Closes: 6 August 2017 (no extensions)
* Notifications from the programme committee: mid-September 2017
* Conference Opens: 22nd January 2018

== HOW TO SUBMIT ==

Create an account at https://login.linux.conf.au/manage/public/newuser
Visit https://linux.conf.au/proposals and click the link to submit your
proposal

== ABOUT LINUX.CONF.AU ==

linux.conf.au is a conference where people gather to learn about the entire
world of Free and Open Source Software, directly from the people who shape
the projects and topics that they’re presenting on.

Our aim is to create a deeply technical conference made up of industry
leaders and experts on a wide range of subjects.

linux.conf.au welcomes submissions first-time and seasoned speakers from
all free and open technology communities and all walks of life. We respect
and encourage diversity at our conference.

== CONFERENCE THEME ==

The theme for linux.conf.au 2018 is “A Little Bit Of History Repeating”.
Building on last year’s theme of “The Future of Open Source”, we intend to
examine the future through the lens of the past.

For some suggestions to get you started with your proposal ideas please
visit the linux.conf.au website.

== PROPOSAL TYPES ==

We’re accepting submissions for three different types of proposal:

* Presentation (45 minutes): These are generally presented in lecture
format and form the bulk of the available conference slots.
* Tutorial (100 minutes): These are generally presented in a classroom
format. They should be interactive or hands-on in nature. Tutorials are
expected to have a specific learning outcome for attendees.
* Miniconf (full-day): Single-track mini-conferences that run for the
duration of a day on either Monday or Tuesday. We provide the room, and you
provide the speakers. Together, you can explore a field in Free and Open
Source software in depth.

== PROPOSER RECOGNITION ==

In recognition of the value that presenters and organisers bring to our
conference, once a proposal is accepted, one presenter or organiser per
proposal is entitled to:

* Free registration, which holds all of the benefits of a Professional
Delegate Ticket
* A complimentary ticket to the Speakers' Dinner for the speaker, with
additional tickets for significant others and children of the speaker
available for purchase.
* Optionally, recognition as a Fairy Penguin Sponsor, available at 50% off
the advertised price

If your proposal includes more than one presenter or organiser, these
additional people will be entitled to:

* Professional or hobbyist registration at the Early Bird rate, regardless
of whether the Early Bird rate is generally available
* Speakers’ dinner tickets available for purchase at cost

Important Note for miniconf organisers: These discounts apply to the
organisers only. All participants in your miniconf must arrange or purchase
tickets for themselves via the regular ticket sales process or they may not
be able to attend!

As a volunteer-run non-profit conference, linux.conf.au does not pay
speakers to present at the conference; but you may be eligible for
financial assistance.

== FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE ==

linux.conf.au is able to provide limited financial assistance for some
speakers.

Financial assistance may be provided to cover expenses that might otherwise
prohibit a speaker from attending such as:
Cost of flight
Accommodation
Other accessibility related costs

To be considered for assistance you can indicate this when making your
proposal. We will try to accommodate as many requests for assistance as
possible within our limited budget.

== ACCESSIBILITY ==

linux.conf.au aims to be accommodating to everyone who wants to attend or
present at the conference. We recognise that some people face accessibility
challenges. If you have special accessibility requirements, you can provide
that information when submitting your proposal so that we can plan to
properly accommodate you.

== CODE OF CONDUCT ==

By agreeing to present at or attend the conference you are agreeing to
abide by the terms and conditions (https://linux.conf.au/attend/
terms-and-conditions/index.html). We require all speakers and delegates to
have read, understood, and act according to the standards set forth in our
Code of Conduct (https://linux.conf.au/attend/code-of-conduct/index.html).

== RECORDING ==

To increase the number of people that can view your presentation,
linux.conf.au will record your talk and make it publicly available after
the event. We plan to release recordings of every talk at the conference
under a Creative Commons Share-Alike Licence. When submitting your proposal
you may note that you do not wish to have your talk released.

== LICENSING ==

If the subject of your presentation is a software project, you must ensure
the software has an Open Source Initiative-approved licence at the time of
the close of our CFP.

Bruce Crawley
Conference Director

&