[Linux-aus] [Announce] Should Linux Australia change its name to Open Source Australia?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Dec 20 20:08:57 AEDT 2017

On Wed, 2017-12-20 at 16:51 +1030, Michael Davies via linux-aus wrote:
> “I think it’s time”
>
> OSA reflects who were are, who we represent and the activities that
> we’ve been doing. I’m not sure that was the case last time this was
> tried, but it definitely is now. Consequently, I support the proposed
> name change.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Michael...

I agree.  When this was last proposed I wasn't convinced, and it seemed
that applying for some trading names and some explanatory text would be
enough.  But as I see the way this organisation has so expanded its
reach and impact, the name Linux Australia doesn't even start to cover
what it really does.

Names are hard, and Linux Australia perhaps thankfully avoided becoming
(dental) FLOSS Australia by pre-dating that term.   It straddled the
communities of 'Free Software' and 'Open Source Software' partly by
naming itself around a specific technology that happens to be (as
almost all I/we do is) both.

This organisation will always be rooted in the Linux community, and it
is great that this solid base means it can spread its wings so far!

Given that expanding reach, a new name seems reasonable, and this one
will do well enough.

Andrew Bartlett