[Linux-aus] Create Hardware with FPGAs, Linux and Python Miniconf @ Linux.conf.au 2018 ticket available - limited spots left!

Tim 'mithro' Ansell me at mith.ro
Mon Dec 18 10:54:20 AEDT 2017

Hello everyone,

At Linux.conf.au 2018 (in Sydney, Australia between 22->26th Jan) this year
myself and a number of other people will be running a project style
miniconf in which we help you "Create Hardware with FPGAs, Linux and
Python".

As this miniconf requires purchase of hardware to participate and numbers
are strictly limit to attend you will need to purchase an additional ticket
to your Linux.conf.au registration. The ticket gets you an FPGA board, some
required peripherals and lunch on the Miniconf day. These have now been
available for over a week but there are still limited spaces left. If you
wish to attend you should sign up ASAP!

No knowledge of FPGAs or HDLs are required to attend the tutorial, but
people should have strong programming experience and be comfortable with
both Python and C code.

I've included more information about the plans for this Miniconf below;

 [1]: https://lca2005.linux.org.au/
>  [2]: https://linux.org.au/conf/2005/abstractb2b1.html?id=296
>  [3]: https://j.mp/lr3k-datasheet

Sadly in 2018 the hardware is no longer available, the innovative &
> advanced feature set can no longer inspire new Engineers.

This doesn't have to be the end thanks to the development of low cost and
> accessible FPGA hardware. You **can** help resurrect this jewel of a device
> to inspire the next generation! What was old is new again!

The Migen tooling developed by M-Labs[4] when extended by EnjoyDigital's

[4]: https://m-labs.hk/gateware.html
> [5]: http://www.enjoy-digital.fr/
> [6]: Like any of PicoRV32, OpenRISC 1K, LatticeMicro32 or J2 open
> processor.

This technology has been used in everything from custom mobile phone base

 [7]: https://m-labs.hk/artiq/index.html
>  [8]: https://hdmi2usb.tv

During the day we will take you through the following;
>  * Creating your own SoC using Python based Migen and LiteX.
>  * Running your SoC on an FPGA and booting into Linux.
>  * Creating a peripheral providing the Love-Rusty 3000 feature set and
> adding to your SoC.
>  * Controlling your new peripheral from Linux.

No knowledge of FPGAs or HDLs are required to attend the tutorial, but
> people should have strong programming experience and be comfortable with
> both Python and C code.

Please share this announcement with anyone you might think would be
interested!

Tim 'mithro' Ansell