[Linux-aus] Grant Application: Promotion of FOSS in undergraduate Computer Science, Information Technology and Software Engineering degrees at the University of Newcastle

James Polley jamezpolley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 14:14:40 AEST 2017

To follow up on this, I'm tentatively in favor.

As Russell and others have pointed out, it would be financially unviable to
use this exact model for every course for every university in the country.
Even as a one-off grant, this is consuming one-fifth of the grant pool for
the year.

If the grant were solely aimed at producing material for Uni of Newcastle
students my support would be marginal at best - it would fall into the
"doesn't seem great, but if no-one else has better ideas for the money I
guess it's okay" category. I understand that the intent is for as much of
the material as possible to be made public; but without firm details on how
much content that is, I feel that I have to assume it's going to be a
fairly small amount of material of limited use (I'd love to be proven wrong
:) Even so, getting a small amount of material to a limited audience is
better than no material to no audience, which is what happens when we don't
give out grants.

What makes me more inclined to be in favour of this grant is the follow-up
study. I would hope that the results of that study either show us that (A)
this wasn't effective, let's not do it again, or (B) this was effective,
let's see if we can secure more funding to do more of this; either way,
we'll have learned something.

If it's possible, I'd be in favor of making the funding conditional on
obtaining approval to have the review results published; but if timing
constraints make that impossible I'd settle for getting as much of an
indication as possible about whether the results can be published.