[Linux-aus] Grant Application: Promotion of FOSS in undergraduate Computer Science, Information Technology and Software Engineering degrees at the University of Newcastle

Andrew Donnellan andrew at donnellan.id.au
Mon Apr 3 14:20:24 AEST 2017

Hi Mark,

On 3 April 2017 at 12:36, Mark Wallis <mark.wallis at newcastle.edu.au> wrote:
> Project Name: Promotion of FOSS in undergraduate Computer Science,
> Information Technology and Software Engineering degrees at the University of
> Newcastle

This sounds like a fantastic initiative. (As a graduate of the ANU,
where our computer science labs run Linux and will probably continue
to run Linux at least until our current sysadmins die... it honestly
confuses me when I remember this isn't the case at all Australian
universities...)

Overall I think this grant request seems pretty reasonable and I'm
supportive of it.

> Project Review/Success:
>

> Between Milestone 3 and Milestone 4 the course material will be iteratively
> developed with UON students who have previously completed the target
> courses. Focus groups will be run with these students, asking them to review
> the material and then complete a short questionnaire that will collect
> metrics on the following:
>

> The quality of the material
> The relevance of the material to the course and their degree
> Whether they believe the material will encourage them to personally
> investigate FOSS in more detail
>

> The results of this survey will be anonymous and used to gauge the success
> of the project.
>
> Pending approval by the UoN Ethics committee, these results will be made
> available and be used to gauge the success of the project.

Any chance of the deliverable also including a report on the success
of the overall process + views of course academics involved? I think
that would be useful for anyone attempting a similar project at other
institutions.

--
Andrew Donnellan
http://andrew.donnellan.id.au         andrew at donnellan.id.au