[Linux-aus] Grant Application: Promotion of FOSS in undergraduate Computer Science, Information Technology and Software Engineering degrees at the University of Newcastle

Mark Wallis mark.wallis at newcastle.edu.au
Mon Apr 3 13:25:48 AEST 2017

Hi David,

> On 3 Apr 2017, at 12:55 pm, David Lloyd <lloy0076 at adam.com.au> wrote:
>
> What do you want to do?

To summarise the project aim, we are looking to update course material for our Comp Sci/IT/Soft Eng courses to ensure that we aren’t only providing students closed-source options.

Perhaps a couple of examples would help clarify further.

1. workshops where we only provide steps that work on the Windows platform. The grant would pay an undergraduate student to work with me to ensure that an alternate workshop is create for students that want to complete that work under Linux.

2. assignments where we ask students to draw diagrams using software only available on Windows - for example UML diagrams. We would research and provide documentation showing students some FOSS alternates to that software.

3 course such as our Operating Systems course provides a lot of theory, but not a lot of practical demonstration. This grant would pay for an undergrad to work with me to present a case study of how some of that theory is implemented in the Linux kernel.

I hope that helps clarify.

Kind Regards,

Regards,
Mark.
Dr. Mark Wallis (Associate Lecturer)

School of Electrical Engineering and Computing
Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
The University of Newcastle, Callaghan, 2308, NSW
AUSTRALIA

Webpage:
https://www.newcastle.edu.au/profile/mark-wallis