[Linux-aus] Linux On Optus Wireless

Scott Bragg jsbragg at scriptforge.org
Wed Mar 16 11:19:03 AEDT 2016

Hi Mike,

I recently switched my Netgear router for a small Ubuntu Linux box and
newer model 3G dongle. It's operating on the Virgin Mobile network but
since that uses the Optus network it should be quite similar.

I ended up using wvdial on Ubuntu, putting the config in my
/etc/network/interfaces using tips found on this page:
https://gist.github.com/ziogaschr/6457f57f1fac5293215d

However, I also note that if you are using it with a 3G/4G dongle, you
need to make sure the dongle is supported in the usbmodeswitch-data
package so it is detected properly by the kernel and sets up the
appropriate /dev/ttyUSBx entries. In my case I went to
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-modeswitch-data/+changelog
and checked that support had been added for my dongle.

There's also these two scripts that could work for you as well:
Saki's 3G Script: http://www.sakis3g.com/
UMTSkeeper (includes Saki's script but has more features such as
keepalive pinging):
http://mintakaconciencia.net/squares/umtskeeper/

I hope some of those tips help. Here is my /etc/wvdial.conf file you
might be able to adapt:

[Dialer Defaults]
Phone =
Username =
Password =
New PPPD = yes

[Dialer virginbroadband]
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Phone = *99#
ISDN = 0
Baud = 460800
Username = "guest"
Password = "guest"
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = at+cgdcont=1,"ip","virginbroadband"
Stupid Mode = 1

On 2016-03-15 21:25, mike wrote:
> Hello Linux Folks...
> Would anyone PLEASE help with advice... Which Linux Programs will
> operate on Optus Wireless Broadband in Australia ??
> I have tried a couple of packages with no success yet and am missing
> using Linux and annoyed by using windows
> Thanks a million !
> Mike The Gardener
> Ph~ 0410 296 297

Scott Bragg