[Linux-aus] SPF problems too

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Fri Mar 4 16:06:23 AEDT 2016

Hello Russell

On 03/02/2016 11:26 AM, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 01:23:22 AM Steve Walsh wrote:
>> Short of writing our own version of the SMTP standard, we're just plain
>> stumped on how we can make this happen. Can you perhaps share a link to
> On the 16th of January I sent a URL describing how to do this to the list.
> Did you try the method menioned in that URL?  If so how did it fail?

It's a great solution where you have a single domain and you only want
some people to have greylisting, but individually confirming every email
address on every domain on each domain that LA and it's committees and
sub-committees uses, as to whether or not that single address needs
greylisting, will not in any way reduce the workload on an already
overloaded team, and will even contribute to increasing the workload on
other committees, etc.

It's worth nothing what the reporting delay in mail to the lists was in
no way anything to do with greylisting, but was, infact, a legacy
configuration option in the mailman qrunner configuration, that once
removed, say mail handled in less than 60 seconds, as opposed to the
previous 60 minutes.

We're currently planning to re-enable greylisting (which combined with
SPF does do wonders to reduce the amount of absolute crap that comes in
on port 25), and whitelist domains for regular posters to the list,
which we feel is a suitable compromise to maintain the operation of the
systems that are in place, whilst continuing to meet the wants of the
community.

regards