[Linux-aus] FOSS-as-a-service

Nathan Bailey web at polynate.net
Fri Jan 22 14:11:32 AEDT 2016

I'm concerned about LA running too many services - aren't the
infrastructure team already strapped for time?
And then we have the MemberDB example - interest but lack of availability
to maintain or enhance.

Perhaps this is best done in the vein Anthony proposed - establish a
subcommittee, give them a VM on the LA server(s) and see how it goes. But
if it stops being maintained, drop it. It's far riskier to run a poorly
maintained service (both for security and brand) than to use free ones.

I like the idea of LA fostering efforts to address gaps in the free/open
ecosystem, but I prefer it when we collaborate with others to create
something multiple organisations benefit from (and contribute to), to
increase the potential network effects.

If NZOSS are doing this, wouldn't we do better to collaborate with them?
-N