[Linux-aus] SPF problems too

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Fri Jan 15 19:27:34 AEDT 2016

On 15/01/2016 9:16 p.m., ac wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 20:52:29 +1300
> Mark Foster <blakjak at blakjak.net> wrote:
> <snip>
>> The listserv server operates with 'greylisting' (an interesting
>> choice for a mailing list).  Check the delayed email's headers and
>> you'll see evidence of exactly how the message was delayed.
>> Don't assume malice where none exists - or at least, check your facts
>> first :-)
>>
> thanks Mark, but with "greylisting" there are temporary delivery
> failure notices - so this is not that. Unless the 'greylisting' is non
> standard/rfc and/or manual, then i believe it is just called 'moderate'
> and not 'greylist'  - it is pointless for me to subscribe to a
> moderated list as I hardly ever need to know anything and only
> subscribe to partake in discussion.
>
> For example: It is simply confusing and stupid for me to reply to any
> post as, by the time my reply is read by the list, the thread is
> already closed.
>
> example from today:
>
> Russel Post at mailhost.linux.org.au: 15:46:39 +1100 (AEDT)
> ac replied: 16:12:21 +1100 (AEDT)
> Stephen Rothwell replied: 16:01:40 +1100 (AEDT)
> Julian replied 17:16:45 +1100 (AEDT)
>
> But the actual list receive order is:
> Russel
> Stephen
> Russel
> Julian
> ac 1st email of (16:12) --> to list after 6pm
> ac 2nd email of (16:22) --> this email received at 6:12 pm

Did you in-fact check the headers of the emails that were delayed as I
suggested?
Steve's last email suggests you're far from moderated. Again, look for a
technical issue - not a malicious one.

Your email of 16.12 displays header Date: line as follows:
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 07:12:21 +0200 (Why are you set to UTC +2 ?)

It was received by my MTA, through my anti-spam service provider, at  15
Jan 2016 18:12:45 +1300 (NZDT) - So it took 24 seconds +/- clock
variance between your machine and my MTA.
Your follow-up email of 16.22 shows Date: line of Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016
07:22:36 +0200 and was received by my MTA at Fri, 15 Jan 2016 18:22:58
+1300 (NZDT) - 22 seconds throughput time.
The only copy I got, was through the listserv.

Again, don't make assumptions. You could (for example) review the web
archive to see if your message has hit the list proper or not, if you
want to see what others might see in terms of subscription-vs-delivery.
Or you could subscribe an additional third-party email address as a
sanity check.

Mark.

PS: Following the threads here the spawned from my initial PSA has been
enlightening, both in terms of the cloo level's demonstrated by many in
the community - and also in some of the misunderstandings about some of
this stuff. LCA talk material, maybe? :) It sounds like the LA
backend-horsepower are working pretty hard to find new hosting for
services pretty quickly, maybe in the aftermath a report to LCA would
help some participants understand exactly how much volunteer effort goes
in to keeping LA ticking...