[Linux-aus] PSA: Messages sent through LA mailing lists being classified as SPAM

Joel W. Shea jwshea at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 01:29:49 AEDT 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 12:13:51AM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 09:09:59 PM Joel W. Shea wrote:
>
> [...] dmarc_moderation_action means that you will have 2 styles of
> message being sent out and enough of them will be modified that people
> who's MUAs can't thread such messages will have almost every thread
> broken.

I'm not sure how that would be an issue, since the MUA would be creating
threads from one or more of the following fields;

``Subject'', ``In-Reply-To'' and ``References''

So it shouldn't matter if you've munged the ``From´´ field.

> > Do you still need to re-write the From: header just to sign a
> > message?
>
> No.  But if you want to have DMARC pass then you have to do it.

Sure, but there was no mention of LA publishing a DMARC policy.

> [...] The fact that you advocate for dmarc_moderation_action indicates
> that you don't really believe in sticking to that RFC issue.

I've also advocated rejecting the message, or accepting, thus allowing
the receiver to quarantine/reject the message, and would be my personal
preference.

However, you're right that I'd much rather see dmarc_moderation, than
from_as_list; because I really don't appreciate my "From:" field being
unnecessarily rewritten, especially if it causes my own Reply-To field
to be clobbered.