[Linux-aus] PSA: Messages sent through LA mailing lists being classified as SPAM

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Thu Jan 14 07:54:03 AEDT 2016

Hi Folks

I just had to re-enable my subscription to linux-aus as the Mailman
instance had disabled my email subscription due to excessive bounces.

I use the anti-spam services offered by SMX (smxemail.com) and using
their Web UI I can see that the emails identified by the attached CSV
were recently rejected as spam by their platform.

Their spam engines are commercial in nature and whilst pretty accurate,
do false-positive occasionally. It suggests that something about the
email content/payload matches an email previously reported as spam to
one of the engines concerned.

If one of the list administrators is able to capture one or more of the
emails that was bounced, it can be sent to emailsupport at smxemail.com
with the comment 'false positive' and they can re-check it and if still
reporting as spam, attempt to correct this.  Otherwise a warning for
anyone else employing anti-spam software.

(I've now whitelisted the envelope-sender for both linux-aus and
announce lists... but from my view I will never see the offending
messages as they were 550 rejected by my MX's).

Cheers
Mark.