[Linux-aus] Candidacy support statement - President

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Mon Jan 11 13:40:24 AEDT 2016

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 02:59:53AM +1100, Hugh Blemings wrote:
> Firstly my apologies for the delay in replying, I'm travelling on holidays
> at present and have limited access to email.

(I'm confused as to why you're apologising for a <12h response time on
a sunday...)

> On 10/01/2016 17:29, Anthony Towns wrote:
> * My work laptop is a Mac which runs OSX natively and a mixture of FOSS and
> proprietary software to do various day to day duties on top
> ** VMs of Ubuntu for desktop Linux needs and devstack tweaking

What desktop Linux needs do you have that you can't (or prefer not to)
run natively on OS X? I got the impression most free things were available
for OS X, though the updaters weren't as convenient as Debian or Fedora.

> Music applications, particularly virtual instruments are very compute and
> memory intensive so virtualisation (OSX under Linux as it would have been)
> is a non-starter.

Hmm, compute-intensive seems surprising; I would've thought the constraint
was latency for device access (speakers, mic, midi etc). Isn't compute
under VM basically just a few percent worse than native these days? (Well,
running OS X under a VM seems to be frowned upon by Apple too from what
I can tell)

Cheers,
aj