[Linux-aus] Inflection Point - A Strategic Plan for Linux Australia

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Thu Jan 7 01:17:47 AEDT 2016

On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 07:18:38PM +1100, Hugh Blemings wrote:
> But for these same people working out the process to contribute via a git
> repository, when coupled with the inevitable pressures of day to day life,
> will quickly see their desire to be involved fall into the too hard basket.

Committing the document to a git repository is pretty trivial these days:

 https://help.github.com/articles/editing-files-in-your-repository/

An open source advocacy organisation should be advocating open source
approaches, not dismissing them as too hard for normal people.

> We are, to a person, an excellent community, but not always deeply
> conversant in the tools - let us continue the discussion in it's current
> "easy to use" form and move to the worthy, but more exotic methods in due
> course.

Open source tools for authoring a document are not "exotic". It's 2016
for heaven's sake. If you don't want to stick stuff in markdown in git
[0] there's wikis, etherpad, drupal, wordpress, and, of course, just
sending an email.

(I'll also note that the google doc currently has it's revision history
disabled, at least when I try to access it. I got what looked like a
server error earlier, so I'm assuming it's a bug. You know, the sort
of thing you could at least conceivably do something about with free
software tools...)

Cheers,
aj

[0] Like LA already does, btw: