[Linux-aus] Inflection Point - A Strategic Plan for Linux Australia

Lev Lafayette lev at levlafayette.com
Wed Jan 6 09:04:30 AEDT 2016

On Wed, January 6, 2016 2:41 am, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 03, 2016 at 02:38:36PM +1100, Kathy Reid wrote:
>
>> To this end, I've put together the below document to start a
>> conversation - You may not agree with the analysis or actions outlined
>> in the document - which is great - ...
>
>> Everyone with the link is able to comment on the document.
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WFeIm-TWVJX-u3gIM9K-hy-91-WFRrs4VVeD
>> DIXCIQo/edit?usp=sharing
>>

> So this irks me a bit -- how does it make sense to talk about rebranding
> as "Open Source Australia" or being a community/volunteer organisation
> while using closed-source, commercial, proprietary tools when free and
> open solutions to the same problem exist?

You're certainly not the only one who has thought this.

At the very least we should have the courage of our convictions to eat our
own dogfood.

On another matter, it's pretty odd that Linux Users of Victoria, Inc.,
isn't mentioned at all in the document. I certainly thought it (or other
independent LUGs) would be included under:

"There are a number of other related Linux, digital rights and open source
organisations in Australia and internationally, and Linux Australia needs
to consider the nature of its relationship (if any) with these. They
include;...."

All the best,

--
Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GradCertTerAdEd (Murdoch), GradCertPM, MBA (Tech
Mngmnt) (Chifley)