[Linux-aus] Re-igniting the Membership Committee

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Thu Feb 11 23:09:06 AEDT 2016

On 11/02/16 22:52, David Lloyd wrote:

> Neil, it’s actually not clear to me what’s broken about the current
> memberdb … I actually think we’re concentrating on technical issues
> when the problem isn’t technical.
>
> I commend your work on membershipdb-ng.

It's a fair question David - and perhaps I haven't outlined the problem
we're trying to solve clearly.

The current MemberDB has *broken* functionality in the following ways:

  * Membership reporting is inconsistent, and we require consistent
    reporting to meet compliance requirements under the Fair Trading Act
    (NSW), as LA is an incorporated association.
  * The platform itself is aged, and runs on a difficult to support code
    base (an old version of PHP)

The current MemberDB has functionality *gaps* in the following ways:

  * Memberships are not renewed, so we don't havea way to expire, or
    confirm currency of Membership
  * There are no targeted communications functionality - so we can't
    email subsets of Members, such as those in Victoria, those who are
    female - to provide useful information
  * We use a variety of tools to manage memberships of committees, and
    the current Membership platform does not make this easier.

A list of requirements was started at;
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tyTA3Fj5J9XL2D7UTIxw46smXGrLM5J-fI4g6GxK9hM/edit?usp=sharing

and I'd warmly welcome contributions to this.

Kind regards,
Kathy