[Linux-aus] Candidacy Support Statement - President or Ordinary Council Member

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Tue Dec 13 13:06:56 AEDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-12-13 at 05:27 +1300, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > I have no doubt that other organizations would like/benefit from
> > preferential voting in an open source CRM for orgs.
>
> The Samba Team needed this for our internal elections, and
> Bradley M. Kuhn (bkuhn) of the Software Freedom Conservency hacked
> this up from the parts he could find on the 'net:
> https://github.com/conservancy/voting

Horror!  His roundup of open source voting systems doesn't include
MemberDB.

On a more serious note, the main attribute of preferential voting (STV
bkuln is using is a close variant) is it's better than First Past The
Post. But then just about every other voting system short of picking a
name out of a hat is.  Anybody who's looked at MemberDB's voting logic,
or has pondered how on earth some Senators got to be elected knows
preferential voting also damned complex.

Turns out there are simpler voting systems that better in many ways
(this page calls "preferential voting" "instant run off"):

    http://ncase.me/ballot/