[Linux-aus] Spam :: Linux Device

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Apr 26 15:21:00 AEST 2016

On 25/04/2016 15:01, ac wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 10:33:42 +1000
> Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:
>> > The spam that went to this list only got through because there are
>> > no SPF
>> > checks on the list server.  The domain jamespurser.com.au has a SPF
>> > record
> <snip>
>>
>> SPF Checks should be enforced, I'm amazed they are not.
>>

> maybe you will maybe become less amazed when you spend a minute and
> learn more about how it works?

maybe you should do some research on who your responding to, I've run
ISP mail systems for over 20 years and understand SPF rather well.

> Strict SPF enforcement is only as good as SPF records themselves

We certainly agree there

> I would venture a guess that the rest of the spam to the AU lists are
> stopped by the good work of moderators.

Only moderators know the answer to that one :)

> Which workload I offered to reduce.

at a cost...

>> Secondly, ac's email itself reeks of spam.
>> Every "appliance" vendor thinks their device (based on dnsbl and SA
>> probably like the other ripp offs) will save the world, yet here we
>
> glad you use the word "probably"  - the truth is that there is not a
> single line of SA OSS code in my solution (or that of any dnsbl - it
> is all original 100% and from scratch - it is also new tech - so
> to call it an dnsbl - is simply so that you will understand roughly
> what it is) , so probably was a good word choice :)

I'm confused, you think people here  reconise and identify rbl's as all
encompassing spam fighting?  oh dear....

>> are in 2016 with the same shitstorm of spam to deal with daily -
>> thankfully, any half decent configured mail servers with a few
>> DNSBL's and spamassassin will stop 99% of spam - always worked for
>> me, privately, and commercially.
>>
> which is why i am doing what i am doing. You do not know this? (it
> seems?) but sorbs and some other rbl's are literally at war with each
> other. over 50 of gmail.com servers are in some rbl's and this has

Why would I not know this? Everyone knows certain DNSBL's are trying to
out chest beat
each other - its been going on for a very very long time.

I've blocked gmail at times too for short periods of time, its enough
top get a  lot of people pissed off enough to complain to google to get
their act together, love or hate Microsoft, one thing I can always say
is they deal with spam complaints - unlike google, there are many who
disagree with spamhaus's approach that gmail are too big to block -
pigs.. if you send a myriad of trash my way you're out, and I don't care
who you are :)

> caused many hassles the past two weeks. It does not help that yahoo is

problems that could be resolved if tehy had people deal with spammers :)

> being target attacked by criminals and that microsoft and google is
> starting to control the email space (as in monopoly) - there are many
> other problems
>
> and the very rbl's that you now so strongly rely on,
>
> you may wake up one morning and find out that they all do not work

Not likely to happen, but now your starting your salesman speech

> and if you think now that there is a "shitstorm" switch off your rbls
>
> for exactly 5 minutes - and see the result...
>

> would it not be better for you to have your own data and be in total
> control yourself?

yep. salesman mode :)  so about here I switch off.