[Linux-aus] Census data risks - retention and correlation of records

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Sun Apr 3 18:43:30 AEST 2016

The ABS can and does knock on people's doors and DOES sue people who
don't give it information already; nothing particularly new about that.

And anyone who thinks they don't already keep the data is probably
living in a fairy tale world that involves drugs I don't usually take.

They're just trying to avoid getting embarrassed by an Australian
version of Edward Snowden. Or that white haired person holed up in an
embassy in the UK.

Behalf
> Of Adam Nielsen
> Sent: Saturday, 2 April 2016 2:28 PM
> To: linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] Census data risks - retention and correlation
of
> records
>
> > > Your responses are completely anonymous. Unlike say, an upcoming
> > > nationwide census. But that's a different topic ;-)
> >
> > Is this something we should respond to, in our broader role? It's
not
> > really an 'open' issue, it's kind of the opposite of data freedom in
> > sense, but it is about data privacy...
>
> It's freedom in the sense that I'm free to keep my code and identity
> private if I choose to, but apparently I'm not free to keep my
personal
> information private if the ABS come knocking.  I'm sure people
wouldn't
> be so keen on free software if part of that freedom meant you were
> free to have the full name and home address of every person who ever
> contributed to a project.
>
> Not that this is all that new, I didn't know the ABS could compel you
> share all your personal information either, and now that I know this,
I'm