[Linux-aus] Linux.conf.au 2016 Open Knowledge Miniconf: Call for Papers

Matthew Cengia mattcen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 11:02:57 AEDT 2015

First Open Knowledge Australia Miniconf!

2016 is the first time the Open Knowledge Australia Miniconf has been
held at linux.conf.au. Its ongoing viability will be dependent upon its
success this year - so it's a great reason to be part of the Miniconf.

Submissions
-----------

Please include the following information:

* A working title
* A brief abstract which specifies the area of open knowledge that you'd
  like to present on
* Your preferred presentation format

Submissions should be emailed to me, Matthew Cengia, via
mattcen at gmail.com

Dates and deadlines
-------------------

The Call for Papers will close at 23:59 on Sunday 13 December 2015, and
you will hear by 1 January 2016 whether or not your talk is accepted.

Restrictions
------------

In order to present you must be a deletgate of LCA2016, or have a
Miniconf day ticket. If cost is an issue for you, I have a very limited
number of free Miniconf day tickets available.

Presentation formats
--------------------

This year, presenters have the following options:

 * A 20 minute presentation with 5 minutes for questions
 * A 45 minute presentation with 5 minutes for questions
 * 5 minute lightning talks

Possible Topics
---------------

Open Knowledge is a wide and varied topic. We are looking for
presentations that demonstrate or promote open technologies and methods.
Open software is a key area of interest, especially software that in
itself promotes openness, such as CKAN, an open source platform that
acts as a portal to open data.  Other examples might include the
OpenStreetMap software, which promotes crowd-sourced and open-licence
mapping, and Authorea, which promotes open journals and research.  We
recognise that software is not the only tool for promoting openness, and
we are also very keen to include talks on the values of open hardware,
maker spaces, open government and open communities.

New and emerging Speakers encouraged

Open Knowledge Miniconf actively encourages new and emerging Speakers to
submit a presentation. It's great experience, and great professional
development.

--
Regards,
Matthew Cengia