[Linux-aus] Disabling HDMI sound

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Sun Nov 15 22:59:46 AEDT 2015

This is probably a little off-topic for this list, since it's not
specific to Australia, so you might be better off visiting your
distro's forums.  But anyway since we're here...

> I have tried a number of things including
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist I have added
>
> snd_hda_intel

This will generally disable onboard sound, so you probably want to make
sure that module gets loaded.  Make sure you check dmesg for any
audio-related messages, in case there's an issue initialising the audio
chip.

You don't have to worry about disabling HDMI audio, if you set your
default sound device correctly (e.g. in /etc/asound.conf) then the HDMI
device will never be used.

Consider yourself lucky - getting audio to work over HDMI is usually
the challenge!

Cheers,
Adam.