[Linux-aus] Acknowledgement of country

James Turnbull james at lovedthanlost.net
Mon Nov 9 01:10:35 AEDT 2015

> Which is the usual statement from folks who don't care to debate with
> anyone who disagrees with them, and don't have to because they have
> sufficient political and cultural power to ignore them.
>
> (And hey, I don't even need to be able to read minds to provide evidence
> for my claim.)

I'm not ignoring those arguments. I plain and simple think they are not
true. I don't need to debate them either, pretty much all the evidence
demonstrates they are not true.

Here's a statistic.

"At the national level for 2005–2007, the gap between Aboriginal and
Torres Strait Islander and non-Indigenous life expectancy was 11.5 years
for males and 9.7 years for females."

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/lookup/4704.0Chapter218Oct+2010

Or how about this one:

"Indigenous Australians are very much over-represented in Australian
prison populations, with imprisonment rates that are around 12 times
those of the rest of the Australian population. Despite making up less
than three per cent of the overall Australian population, Indigenous
people make up 40 per cent of those imprisoned for assault offences.
Rates of over-representation are even higher in juvenile detention, with
a 10-17 year old Indigenous person being around 24 times more likely to
be in detention than a non-Indigenous person of the same age."

http://www.aic.gov.au/crime_types/in_focus/indigenousjustice.html

If we're all "equal" then it's a funny kind of equal.

Recognizing indigenous people is one of the ways we can keep
front-of-mind that things are not okay. That it also shows respect for
the traditions of that community is

Kind Regards

James Turnbull

--