[Linux-aus] [LA-Policies] Draft Indigenous Acknowledgement policy

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Sun Nov 8 12:01:47 AEDT 2015

Hi Kathy,

> -----Original Message-----

> https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/pull/10/

I've made some mostly style marks as line comments at github; I hope
that's the right place to put it. In general, the intention of the
policy is good although I've made my reservations about it on the main
mailing list.

The most contentious change, I suppose, would be my suggestion to
change:

"* Payment will be made for an Indigenous Elder providing a Welcome to
Country at or above the appropriate rate for such services, or in line
with local cultural protocol."

Into

"* Linux Australia will provide or pay for an Indigenous Elder providing
a Welcome to Country at or above the appropriate rate for such services,
or in line with local cultural protocol."

I would assume that user group meetings, not directly under the auspice
of Linux Australia, are somewhat immune to Linux Australia's policies
If, for whatever reason, Linux Australia would disassociate itself with
a user group that did not follow this policy or protocol [or for that
matter any other of Linux Australia's policies and protocols], I'd
suggest that the council might want to contact all the organisers of the
user groups it is aware of to make this known.

I would think that if Linux Australia sponsored an event in some way
then it probably falls under this protocol but unless Linux Australia
itself takes responsibility for a local user group meeting, perhaps
including payment for facilities, local organisation, liability
insurance and such then user groups are free to incorporate this kind of
policy or not.

DSL