[Linux-aus] Request: Officially oppose TPP Source Code provision

Andrew Donnellan andrew at donnellan.id.au
Fri Nov 6 09:58:32 AEDT 2015

On 6 November 2015 at 09:10, Tennessee Leeuwenburg
<tleeuwenburg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure that a face-value reading actually tells us what is going on
> here. My reading of point one is that it doesn't actually refer to
> open-source software, but rather to protecting proprietary closed-source
> software. Is anyone on this list able to give a more expert overview of what
> these clauses mean?

I'm not going to second this request until we get someone slightly
more informed to make a comment.

I'm *pretty sure* that this section does not mean what many people on
this list will immediately jump to - I'm inclined to believe that this
is about protecting proprietary software vendors from mandatory source
code disclosure by states (with the exception of critical
infrastructure and regulatory requirements, as it specifies), and will
not in any way impact private copyright arrangements such as the GPL.

Any legally minded folk care to comment?

--
Andrew Donnellan
http://andrew.donnellan.id.au         andrew at donnellan.id.au