[Linux-aus] TED conference connect app

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sun May 24 07:52:38 AEST 2015

On Sun, 24 May 2015 07:12:31 AM Ian wrote:
> I really like the abilities of that app but why build in OCR when a simple
> QR is all that is needed? Other events have successfully used QR on their
> ID cards, I can't see any reason for going to that level.

QR is patented, while royalties haven't been demanded yet there is precedent
in the patent that hit compress(1) and gif.  This is why Android doesn't have
a QR reader built in but instead strongly recommends an app by an organisation
that's not worth suing.

Of course that still leaves the question of why not use bar-codes instead of
OCR.

> Even without going for a full app adding a small QR to the LCA guest ID
> with a link back to their personal page within LCA isn't such a difficult
> thing to do. Guests could easily opt out during the registration process
> and the level of personal and interest info on their pages will be entirely
> up to them.

Sounds like a good idea.  I don't think that LCA is worth suing.

But the real issues are about the online interaction, ways of finding people,
suggestions for possible like-minded people, etc.  Much of it is about a
conference-specific social network.

Hopefully TED will release the source.