[Linux-aus] Under a week to get your PyCon Australia 2015 proposal in!

Clinton Roy clinton.roy at gmail.com
Sat May 2 17:04:12 AEST 2015

Under a week to go - closes Friday 8th May

With just under a week to go until the PyCon Australia 2015 Call for
Proposals closes, we thought it would be a good idea to give everyone an
update and a reminder. We’re very happy with the proposals we’ve already
received, but we’re eager to receive more! We hope our proposal writing
working bees in Brisbane have been of help, and hope to roll them out to
more cities next year. If you’ve got any questions please get in touch
(numerous contact details are up on pycon-au.org). We would like to give a
special shout out for the Education MiniConf, which is new this year: if
you know people teaching and using computing in the education realm, please
forward this CFP on.

The deadline for proposal submission is *Friday 8th May, 2015*.
Conference The conference this year will be held on Saturday 1st and Sunday
2nd August 2015 in Brisbane. PyCon Australia attracts professional
developers from all walks of life, including industry, government, and
science, as well as enthusiast and student developers. We’re looking for
proposals for presentations and tutorials on any aspect of Python
programming, at all skill levels from novice to advanced. Presentation
subjects may range from reports on open source, academic or commercial
projects; or even tutorials and case studies. If a presentation is
interesting and useful to the Python community, it will be considered for
inclusion in the program. We're especially interested in short
presentations that will teach conference-goers something new and useful.
Can you show attendees how to use a module? Explore a Python language
feature? Package an application? Miniconfs Four Miniconfs will be held on
Friday 31st July, as a prelude to the main conference. Miniconfs are run by
community members and are separate to the main conference. If you are a
first time speaker, or your talk is targeted to a particular field, the
Miniconfs might be a better fit than the main part of the conference. If
your proposal is not selected for the main part of the conference, it may
be selected for one of our Miniconfs:
*DjangoCon AU* is the annual conference of Django users in the Southern
Hemisphere. It covers all aspects of web software development, from design
to deployment - and, of course, the use of the Django framework itself. It
provides an excellent opportunity to discuss the state of the art of web
software development with other developers and designers.
The *Python in Education Miniconf* aims to bring together community
workshop organisers, professional Python instructors and professional
educators across primary, secondary and tertiary levels to share their
experiences and requirements, and identify areas of potential collaboration
with each other and also with the broader Python community.
The *Science and Data Miniconf* is a forum for people using Python to
tackle problems in science and data analysis. It aims to cover commercial
and research interests in applications of science, engineering,
mathematics, finance, and data analysis using Python, including AI and 'big
data' topics.
The *OpenStack Miniconf* is dedicated to talks related to the OpenStack
project and we welcome proposals of all kinds: technical, community,
infrastructure or code talks/discussions; academic or commercial
applications; or even tutorials and case studies. If a presentation is
interesting and useful to the OpenStack community, it will be considered
for inclusion. We also welcome talks that have been given previously in
different events. First Time Speakers

We welcome first-time speakers; we are a community conference and we are
eager to hear about your experience. If you have friends or colleagues who
have something valuable to contribute, twist their arms to tell us about
it! Please also forward this Call for Proposals to anyone that you feel may
be interested.
The most recent call for proposals information can always be found at:
pycon-au.org/cfp See you in Brisbane in July! Important Dates Call for
Proposals opens: Friday 27th March, 2015
Proposal submission deadline: Friday 8th May, 2015
Proposal acceptance: Monday 25 May, 2015

--
Clinton Roy
Software Developer