[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au 2016 Geelong - Call for Papers now open!

David Bell dtbell91 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 06:52:03 AEST 2015

linux.conf.au 2016 Geelong - LCA By the Bay are delighted to announce #CfP
is now open

We're delighted to announce that the Call for Presentations for the
conference, to be held *1st-5th February at Deakin University's Waterfront
Campus*, are now open. *CfP will remain open until 6th July.*
Given the recent advances in wearable technology, embedded platforms, and
fruitful marriages between open design and technology, open source software
and hardware is delivering a number of tangible and intangible benefits for
our daily lives.

*Life is better with Linux.*

And that’s exactly what our conference theme is. linux.conf.au 2016 will
focus on how Linux and open source technologies are improving lives -
through humanitarian projects, wearables that give us greater control and
choice over our health and habits, and which enrich our lives through
protecting our privacy and our ‘digital health’.

What types of presentations are being sought?

   - *Presentations* - the standard, time-tested format for most
   linux.conf.au. A sage on the stage presents interesting and hopefully
   informative and engaging content, with time for questions. Around 45 mins
   total.
   - *Tutorials* - double slots with a defined syllabus, where delegates
   walk out with a key skill or ability. Some prep work is usually required.
   - *Prototypes* - we’d like to do something different this year and
   introduce 45 minute sessions called ‘Prototypes’ - where Makers, Hackers,
   and Voiders are able to show and tell what they’ve made. It could be a
   hardware prototype, a software prototype, or a ‘wetware’ prototype - where
   technology is interacting with the biomedical field for things like
   implantable NFC chips.

What presentation topics are welcomed?
We’re still expecting to have our time-honoured classic talks - the state
of the Linux Kernel, advancements in architecture, storage, file systems
and utilities.

But we’d also like to see lots of talks from people who use Linux and
F/LOSS to make our lives better. To make better people. And a better
humanity.

How do we develop for wearables and implantables? How do you do unit tests
for an implantable wetware device? What happens when we see the first IoT
murder? And who owns our data from wearable devices - us, or our insurance
companies? Linux is now embedded in a raft of wearable, tiny devices -
which present challenges and opportunities to be met and maximised.

These are the stories we would like to hear.

What about Miniconfs?
Miniconference proposals are also now welcome. *Miniconf #CfP will close on
6th July*.

How do I submit to the #CfP?

   1. Go to http://linux.conf.au
   2. Create an account
   3. Confirm your email address
   4. On the conference website, log in and choose 'Submit a Proposal' from
   the left hand menu
   5. Fill out the required information - remember, the more info you
   provide, the better informed Papers Committee will be.

How do I stay in touch?

Potential Delegates and Speakers are encouraged to remain up to date with
conference news through the following channels;

*Website:* https://linux.conf.au
*Twitter:* @linuxconfau, hashtag #lca2016
*Facebook:* https://www.facebook.com/lcabythebay
*Google+:* https://www.google.com/+LcabythebayOrgAu
*Lanyrd:* http://lanyrd.com/2016/linuxconfau/
*IRC:* #linux.conf.au on freenode.net
*Email:* info at lcabythebay.org.au
*Announce mailing list:*
http://lists.linux.org.au/mailman/listinfo/lca-announce

We warmly encourage you to forward this announcement to technical
communities you may be involved in.

Kind regards,
David
--