[Linux-aus] Science Cafe

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Jul 1 16:47:28 AEST 2015

On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 08:02:55 AM James Polley wrote:
> I like the Cafe Scientifique and Science Cafe concepts - I'm a fan of
> anything that encourages science literacy or critical thinking.
>
> But I'm having trouble seeing how this is "a good fit for the aims of Linux
> Australia". http://linux.org.au/projects/grants has some details on some of
> the criteria the request should meet to be considered, starting with being
> "for the good of a project that relates to Linux or Open Source". I

I agree that a strict literal reading of the grants page would make this
project ineligible for a financial grant.

However at this time I'm not looking for money just for mailing list hosting.
So even if it's determined that the grants page should be interpreted strictly
I don't think this necessarily precludes mailing list hosting.

But I think that the grants page should be interpreted more liberally.
Computer Science is one branch of science and generally promoting science
education goes along with Open Source.

If it is determined that Linux Australia shouldn't offer mailing list hosting
for such a project does anyone know of a good service to use?  Don't say
Google Groups.