[Linux-aus] Advice for releasing code

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Tue Jan 20 15:35:05 AEDT 2015

On 20 January 2015 at 12:56, John Kristensen <john at jerrykan.com> wrote:

> Towards the end of last year I spent a bit of work time developing a
> simple tool for internal use, but it is generic enough that it may be
> useful to others.
>
> I would like to release the code under a free license, but because a
> large part of the code was developed during work time it isn't as simple
> as slapping a license on it a pushing it out to github.
>
> My manager is supportive of the idea and has asked the usual
> people/departments about what the procedure is, but the only response
> seems to be "we don't know, talk to the lawyers".
>
> I work for one of the Tasmanian state government departments, so before
> we "talk to the lawyers" we though it might be helpful if we could find
> any existing policies/procedures that exist within governments in other
> states or at a national level.

​I thought there might be something from the AGIMO documents from a while
ago, but it looks like that's all related to procurement, rather than
internal development. I did find this from Qld though:

"""​Policy requirement 4: Conditions for release of Queensland Government
software as OSS

A business assessment, including legal considerations, must be undertaken
prior to any Queensland Government owned software being contributed or
released as open source. Copyright in any such software should be assigned
to the Queensland Government. Any Queensland Government initiated open
source software should be released under the GPL 3.0 licence."""

 --
http://www.qgcio.qld.gov.au/products/qgea-documents/546-application/2481-open-source-software-policy

Cheers,
aj​