[Linux-aus] Advice for releasing code

John Kristensen john at jerrykan.com
Tue Jan 20 13:56:58 AEDT 2015

Hello All,

Towards the end of last year I spent a bit of work time developing a
simple tool for internal use, but it is generic enough that it may be
useful to others.

I would like to release the code under a free license, but because a
large part of the code was developed during work time it isn't as simple
as slapping a license on it a pushing it out to github.

My manager is supportive of the idea and has asked the usual
people/departments about what the procedure is, but the only response
seems to be "we don't know, talk to the lawyers".

I work for one of the Tasmanian state government departments, so before
we "talk to the lawyers" we though it might be helpful if we could find
any existing policies/procedures that exist within governments in other
states or at a national level.

Most free/open source stuff I can find seems to be related to software
procurement or open data, but not releasing code.

So... does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing, know of
any resources they could point me to, or any advice in general?

If the request is a bit vague and you need more info, let me know.

Thanks,
John.