[Linux-aus] What's the real story about Shellshock and Bash and vulnerabilities in Linux and OpenSource?

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Sep 26 16:59:23 EST 2014

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014, Ian wrote:

> Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 05:11:03
> From: Ian <ilox11 at gmail.com>
> To: LinuxSA <linuxsa at linuxsa.org.au>,
>     Linux Australia List <linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au>
> Subject: [Linux-aus] What's the real story about Shellshock and Bash and
>     vulnerabilities in Linux and OpenSource?
>
> The journos are having a field day over the discovery of the
> vulnerabilities in Bash, the vulnerability now called Shellshock. They talk
> of 500million affected sites. Any Apache server is easily taken over. Some
> reporting that the patches not fully safe yet.
> http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29361794
> "The new bug has turned the spotlight, once again, onto the reliance the
> technology industry has on products built and maintained by small teams
> often made up of volunteers."
> And even more fingers being pointed at the Open Source community,
> "That such key parts of everyday technology are maintained in this way is
> a cause for concern," said Tony Dyhouse from the UK's Trustworthy Security
> Initiative.
>
> "To achieve a more stable and secure technology environment in which
> businesses and individuals can feel truly safe, we have to peel back the
> layers, start at the bottom and work up," he said."This is utterly
> symptomatic of the historic neglect we have seen for the development of a
> dependable and trustworthy baseline upon which to develop a software
> infrastructure for the UK.
> "Ultimately, this is a lifecycle problem. It's here because people are
> making mistakes whilst writing code and making further mistakes when
> patching the original problems."
> "
> What is the real story? How vulnerable are our servers? Will the patches
> resolve the problem?
>
> Should there be a focus within the Linux world to track down all the little
> bits that make up the foundation of the software and making sure they are
> being maintained and secure and above all trusted? Perhaps LA or the next
> LCA could/should pick this up as a theme and be a leader in the open source
> world?
>
> --
> -- Ian

People should ignore the media bulls... and calmly do the proper thing,
such as subscribing to the CERT advisories (everyone on this list,
should already be subscribed), and, keep their systems updated.

Debian has, I believe, already provided the appropriate patch.

And, people should remember the principle that nothing is absolutely
secure - if people are determined enough, and skilled or lucky enough,
they can breach any security barrier. And, remember, the australian
feral parliament had requested that the NSA monitor all electronic
communications of everyone in Australia. So, you are not safe anyway.
Some pervert in the USA administration, probably knows what size and
colour underwear you wear, all of your sexual and medical history, and,
all of your passwords. And, a while ago, the australian feral
parliament passed legislation to authorise asio to enter anyone's
computer and do whatever they want within the computer, and deny any
knowledge or involvement in whatever they do and have done. Which means
that, of the media reports that we encounter, of people found to have
inappropriate material on their computers - child porn or "terrorist
material" (lessons on how to play the bagpipes, etc), we have no idea as
to how much of it was put there, intentionally or otherwise, by the
computer user, and, how much was put there by asio. It is a bit like the
justification for the invasion of Iraq - "We will find the weapons of
mass destruction, even if we have to put them there, ourselves".

All we can do, is do the best that we can, to protect ourselves. That is
life - whether it is what happens when we go outside our homes, or, when
we use a computer or other electronic device.

See the message below.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale