[Linux-aus] Retiring as Secretary

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Tue Nov 25 19:43:40 EST 2014

Hi everyone,

Over the past two years I've had the privilege of working alongside a
number of talented and passionate LA Council members - Joshua, Hugh,
Francois, Bianca, Clinton, Sae Ra, Chris and Josh; each committed to
upholding the values of the organisation and to nurturing the community
we serve. Together we've achieved much - a landmark Member Survey last
year, the move to a two-year bidding cycle to assure the future of
linux.conf.au and the umbrella'ing of many events and the underpinning
procedural structures to support them. Linux Australia is in great shape.

The Australian and New Zealand Linux and free and open source community
remains engaged and enthusiastic, while at a broader environmental level
threats to our online freedoms and digital liberties coalesce. The TPP,
ill-formed legal frameworks designed to allow government agencies to
invade privacy with impugnity, trade practices which favour proprietary
products and the companies behind them are but some of the issues of the
day. There is much work for Linux Australia to continue to do.

As most of the community would now be aware, linux.conf.au has been
awarded to Geelong in 2016. As 2IC of the conference, with approximately
447 days remaining until showtime, my priorities for 2015 mean I'm
unable to also continue in Council, should the community wish me to do
so. To this end, I won't be standing for re-election to Council in 2015.

Being a Council Member is a great experience, not just in terms of the
friendships formed, but also provides robust career development
opportunities as you contribute to the effective management, governance
and administration of a reasonably sized incorporation. I strongly
encourage all Members to consider nominating for Council, and warmly
welcome any enquiries from those thinking of putting their hat in the ring.

I wish the 2015 Council continued success.

With kind regards,
Kathy Reid