[Linux-aus] Open Radio Miniconf Call for Presentations at LCA2015

Kim Hawtin kim at hawtin.net.au
Thu Nov 6 09:58:44 EST 2014

Morning all,

The Call for Presentations for the Open Radio Miniconf at LCA2015 is now
open! All details are available on the LCA2015 wiki at;
see;

A copy of the CfP is included below - please pass this along to your
radio and open source networks and anyone else that you may think would
be interested.

As highlighted in the CfP below, we're especially keen to make the Open
Radio Minconf a diverse and inclusive event. If you know anyone from a
group that is typically under-represented at tech events who may be
interested in presenting, please take a moment to forward this CfP on to
them.

regards,

Kim VK5FJ

== Open Radio Miniconf Call for Presentations at LCA2015 ==

=== Submission Dates ===
* Sunday 14th December 2014: Deadline for submissions
* Sunday 21st December 2014: Announcements of selected proposals
* Monday 12th January 2015: Open Radio Miniconf

=== 'No pressure' policy ===
The Open Radio Miniconf is a low-pressure event, and we strongly
encourage anyone who has an idea for an radio-related talk to submit a
proposal even if you've never presented at a conference before. Please
share this CfP with anyone you know who may otherwise not consider
submitting a proposal.

=== Commitment to Diversity ===
We are especially keen to present a diverse range of experiences and
voices, and actively encourage women and people from other groups that
are frequently under-represented at tech events to submit a proposal.
Please share this CfP with anyone you know who may fit with this objective.

=== Suggested Presentation Topics ===
Any topic which is related to both radio and open source technologies is
considered on-topic for the Open Radio Miniconf.

Some ideas include:

* Hardware for SDR
* Software for SDR
* Protocols over the air
* Digital voice
* Understandning data modes
* Encoding and Decoding data
* Logging data or voice
* Positioning systems
* Radio direction finding
* Here's a cool thing I did with my SDR
* Take a look at my new modem for digital modes
* Simple data links with cheap radio chips

=== Presentation Format ===
Presentations will be 'lightning talks' session with multiple 5-15
minute mini-presentations. Ideally we would like to see proposals for
longer lightning talks, you can also just present on the day (this is a
very low-pressure way to ease yourself into presenting, so please have a
think in advance about what you'd like to present).

=== Need some help? ===
If you have an idea (or the beginning of an idea) for a presentation for
the Open Radio Miniconf, we'd be very happy to talk it through with you
to help you develop it further. Email Kim VK5FJ at vk5fj at wia.org.au or
ping him at @vk5fj on Twitter to start the conversation.

=== Code of Conduct ===
Anyone presenting at the Open Miniconf is bound by the same Code of
Conduct as presenters and conference attendees of the main conference.
The full LCA2015 Code of Conduct is at;
   http://linux.conf.au/cor/code_of_conduct

To help ensure that presentations comply with the Code of Conduct, we
require presenters to submit a copy of their presentation/slide deck for
review by Monday 5th January, 2015 (one week prior to the start of LCA).

=== Presenter Responsibilities ===
Presenters at the Open Radio Miniconf must be registered attendees of
the main LCA2015 conference. Presenters are responsible for their own
conference registration, travel, and accommodation costs. The LCA2015
committee has made available a small number of miniconf-only passes that
we will be using to enable Amateur Radio enthusiasts to present who
would not otherwise be able to attend.

=== How to Submit Proposals ===
Please submit your proposal(s) by email Kim VK5FJ at vk5fj at wia.org.au
We encourage you to submit multiple proposals if you have multiple ideas.

72,

Kim VK5FJ
Open Radio Miniconf Net Operator

PS - copy used with permission from the Astronomy Miniconf CfP