[Linux-aus] 1 Billion Websites Coming Soon

Brent Wallis brent.wallis at gmail.com
Wed May 28 18:52:40 EST 2014

Hi All,

Excuse the cross post but think this is worth a look...

Since '95 I have been regularly following the Netcraft Web Server Surveys
and thought I should point out that the 'net is about to crack the 1
Billion site mark.

In their April Survey:
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2014/04/02/april-2014-web-server-survey.html

The first line of the report makes me think that the 1 Billion mark may
have already been cracked...

"In the *April 2014* survey we received responses from *958,919,789* sites
— 39 million more than last month."

Granted, a large portion are parked ( the early bleat in the report around
IIS seems to indicate MS have been busy with the marketing dollars and
parked domains) but in the end...1 Billion is an astounding growth over
just shy of 20 years... :-)

Its also worthy noting how NGINX has EXCEEDED IIS share in both the Active
Sites and Top 1 Million Sites...

BW