[Linux-aus] strange LAN congestion problem

Paul Gear paul at gear.dyndns.org
Tue Jun 17 21:19:13 EST 2014

Hi all,

I'm not trying to start a fight, but I can't understand why anyone who
subscribes to the principles of Linux Australia would want to run
RouterOS.  It's Linux, but with all of the freedom, power, and
customisability cut out.  Mikrotik's hardware is certainly attractive in
terms of value for money and reliability (although I've had my share of
issues with their power supplies), but I'd never use a Mikrotik if a
Ubiquiti EdgeMax [1] or a generic PC [2] running VyOS [3] (or any of the
dozens of x86 firewall/UTM distros) would do the job.

Regards,
Paul

[1] http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax
[2] http://global.shuttle.com/products/productsDetail?productId=1745 is
about the closest thing I've found to router-style hardware in the x86
world.  Anyone tried them?
[3] http://vyos.net/ - this is my personal favourite, but I'm a bit
biased since I'm a minor contributor to the project.