[Linux-aus] Minutes of Council Meeting 03 June 2014

Dave Davey daved at windclimber.id.au
Mon Jun 16 12:17:57 EST 2014

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 11:38:11AM +1000, Michael Still wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 10:12:22 Michael Still wrote:
>
> >> Additionally, I think it means we
> >> need to start collecting written documents for presentation, which
> >> isn't something our speakers have been historically interested in
> >> doing. Perhaps I'm wrong though.
> >
> > Would such written documents get read?
>
> It is my understanding that it is a standard part of academic
> conferences to collect written papers for each speaker.

"Standard" is definitely an overstatement.  The organisers of some
academic conferences, often professional societies, will invite full
papers from major speakers for subsequent publication in a proceedings,
or in a journal (often as a supplement), or even in a book.  For such
papers to be recognised as publications of value in a curriculum vitae,
in a grant application, in an application for promotion etc., it is
almost always essential that the papers themselves are peer-reviewed,
and frequently then revised, to meet the requirements of the publication's
editor, policies and standards.  This peer-reviewed status applies to
the publications, not to the conference as a whole.  For most large
conferences in the sciences, the short publications (e.g. abstracts)
are often not vetted in any way as the workload would be far too great,
so the idea that the conference as a whole could have a peer-reviewed
status would be impossible.

Dave (past Proceedings Editor)

--
David F. Davey
D'Entrecasteaux                                       Phone: +61 3 6267 4852
Australia                                            daved at windclimber.id.au