[Linux-aus] strange LAN congestion problem

Kevin Maciunas kevin at cs.adelaide.edu.au
Mon Jun 16 11:13:25 EST 2014

I've seen this sort of behavior caused by lack of buffer depth on the
switch.  As a recycled network person, my first reaction would be to
dust off wireshark and observe the behavior on the ethernet.

The setup I've played with that exhibited this in spades was a netgear 5
port switch.  This linked some scientific instrumentation that was
almost sync'd - and would send a burst of data every 1 second.  The
chaos that ensued brought the Gbit network to its knees.  I suspect in
the consumer grade switch side of the kit you're using, the buffering on
the links is very minimal and this is causing the train wreck upstream.
(The usual fall back to slow start etc etc...)  Wireshark is probably
your friend in this case.

My $0.02.
/Kevin

Kevin J. Maciunas              Net: kevin at cs.adelaide.edu.au
Dept. of Computer Science      Ph : +61 8 8313 5845
University of Adelaide         Fax: +61 8 8313 4366
Adelaide 5005 SOUTH AUSTRALIA  Web: http://www.cs.adelaide.edu.au/~kevin
Fingerprint = 7E5A A0C2 22BC 5993 17F2 93CE B1FD DEC6 D0C0 50CD